Art & Color
Electronic File Guidelines and Label Specs
Preferred File Formats
Labelsmith Inc. located in Sparks prefers the Adobe® family line of programs. For other programs, please save as an .eps or .pdf file with fonts outlined.
If You Are Using:
- Adobe® Acrobat®: Distill your file as a PDF with the following label specs. Job Options — “Print”; Fonts – “Embed all Fonts”; Color – “Color management turned off”.
- Adobe® Illustrator®: Please outline all fonts, provide linked artwork, and all supporting graphics. Do not embed the images. If you are using spot colors, please make sure your colors are saved as a spot color. Do not save as the Process (CMYK) version of the color.*
- Adobe® Indesign®: Supply all supporting files. Convert all text to outlines.
- Adobe® Photoshop®: Please send files in CMYK, not RGB. If any text changes need to be done on our end, we will need the fonts included with your file. All files should be saved with a minimum resolution of 300 ppi. Save raster files with a minimum resolution of 300 ppi. Save line art files with a minimum resolution of 600 ppi.
If a custom die is requested, please include a dieline.
* If a color match is desired we must have the PMS colors expected. Colors from a computer printout will vary with different printers. Before sending your file, please print your color separations to be sure they print as intended.
We will not provide a proof unless otherwise asked. Proofs will be digital in nature and will be sent via email.
We can typeset text up to 10 lines, free of charge. Art charges are $60.00/hour.
Minimum point size is 4 pt for sans serif fonts, 6 pt for serif fonts, such as Times Roman, or 6 pt for reverse printing. Smaller type will fill in when printed. Process colors are not recommended for text. Use single colors for text to produce clean, sharp, easy to read print.
Minimum of 1/16″ to 1/8″ beyond the edge of the label is required. Borders must be 1/8″ wide with an additional 1/16″ bleed outside of the die cut. All copy needs to be 1/8″ from the edge of the die cut. No bleeds available on butt cut labels.
Graduated screens should range from 4% to 100%. Any values below 4% may not reproduce correctly, and leave hard edges or reduced quality.
Clear Labels For Glass
If you have a clear label going on glass, we recommend a white backup ink to improve readability. This can be printed as a “halo” around the printed image. It can also be as a partial background behind the printed image only (Not available on small type or detailed artwork).
Labeling Laws, Nutrition Facts, And UPC Codes
We are not experts on labeling laws for specific projects. Please contact the appropriate authorities for your product for applicable regulations. For most requirements, you can contact the Food and Drug Administration. The FDA regulates food, drugs, cosmetics, animal feed, medical devices, etc. UPC codes are issued and controlled by the Uniform Product Code Council. Click here if you need a UPC number. Click on “I need a UPC code.” DHEC regulates all warehouse labeling. Each state regulates their own DHEC. You will need to search for these regulations based on your business’s residence.
If setting traps, set black to overprint all colors. Traps should be a minimum of .5 pt. Spread the lighter color into the darker. Double check that your colors are spot color rather that CMYK, unless your job is process colors.
Designing for flexographic printing is not the same as for offset printing! Flexo has inherent differences such as the need for wider trap zones due to distortion factors, substrate stretch, etc. Flexo inks are transparent. Please follow these guidelines for the best quality label!
Art Can Be Sent On Disk Or Electronically.
E-Mail to: email@example.com
Mail to: Labelsmith, Inc.
1147 Gator Way
Sparks, NV 89431
Standard Spot Colors
We Have One Of The Largest Standard Ink Lists For Labels! Choose Any Of Our Standard Ink Colors At No Additional Charge.
Any PMS color match is $25.00
Custom color matches are $40.00
Refer to your PMS book for exact colors. Please note: printing on colored papers or foil will alter the appearance of the ink.
|Black||PMS# 021 Orange|
|Opaque White||PMS# 151 Orange|
|Pantone Yellow||PMS# 185 Red|
|Pantone Warm Red||PMS# 194 Maroon|
|Pantone Rubine Red||PMS# 286 Blue|
|Pantone Rhodamine Red||PMS# 300 Blue|
|Pantone Purple||PMS# 321 Teal|
|Pantone Reflex Blue||PMS# 347 Green|
|Pantone Process Blue||PMS# 469 Brown|
|Pantone Green||PMS# 872 Metallic Gold|
|Pantone Violet||Metallic Silver|
Design And Submit Your Own Labels! Call Us At 1-800-348-7778, Or
CLICK HERE TO Contact Us Online!